Keto Vegan Seed Bread
- 1 cup (120g) raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup (120g) raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup (40g) chia seeds
- ½ cup (56g) pea protein powder (see Note)
- ¼ cup (20g) psyllium husks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ¼ cup (64g) tahini, room temperature
192 calories I 14.7g fat I 10.5g protein I 6.9g total carbs I 2.5g net carbs
YIELD: one 9 by 5-inch (23 by 12.75-cm) loaf (12 servings)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 1 ½ hours
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a 9 by 5-inch (23 by 12.75-cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Leave at least 2 inches (5 cm) of extra parchment on each long side of the pan for easier removal of the loaf.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl. whisk together the Seeds, protein powder, psyllium husks, and salt.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the water and tahini.
- Pour the tahini mixture over the seed mixture and stir until thoroughly combined and no dry spots remain. The dough will thicken as you stir and will become quite dense.
- Scoop the dough into the lined loaf pan, spread evenly, and smooth the top.
- Bake for 85 to 90 minutes, until the crust is hard and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the pan using the overhanging parchment as handles and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.
Note: Pea protein yields the best results in this recipe. Some protein powders (like soy isolate) do not work the same way.
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days, refrigerate for up to a week, or slice and freeze for up to a month.
To reheat place frozen slices in a reheated 350°F (177°C) oven for bout 5 minutes, until warmed through, or for up to 10 minutes to toast them.